Our ANIMALS design comes from the renaissance.
The animals come from the tiles shown below, the scallops from the decorative plates, both from the XVI Century.
The "Piattelletti" in Fano is an ancient village within the walls, a junction of narrow streets between Via Garibaldi and Via Cavour. The name is of popular origin. It is the name that the inhabitants gave to the ancient Church of Santa Maria del Riposo, known as the Piattelletti, which has characterized the neighborhood in which it stood for centuries, leaving a vivid memory in the memory of Fano. The name came from the square tiles that constituted - about 1600 in number - the remarkable Renaissance majolica floor from the period of Cesare Borgia (1499 - 1503). Each tile (15.5 x 15.5 cm) had a decoration, with polychrome designs different from the other, geometric, floral, and figurative, inserted in a circular garland which, in the overall view, gave the image of around similar to a plate or plate.
The church occupied an area of about fifty square meters and was demolished, after a long period of abandonment, in 1942. The tiles, already dispersed before the demolition of the building, were purchased in 1885 by the Roman antiquarian Giuseppe Giacomini. Put on the market, they went on to enrich public and private collections in Italy and Europe.